Deadline: Thursday 31 August 2012
The Northern Research Partnership in engineering and related disciplines has been established by the University of Aberdeen, the University of Dundee and the Robert Gordon University, with significant funding from the Scottish Funding Council. The Northern Research Partnership, along with similar groupings (The Edinburgh Research Partnership and Glasgow Research Partnership) form the Scottish Research Partnership, which aims to develop a critical mass of excellent research in engineering and allied disciplines.
The NRP Strategic Management Board has decided to make a further tranche of funding available to support research studentships within the following four Joint Research Institutes (JRIs) and Non-linear & Complex Systems Group:
- Civil Engineering Director: Dr Ana Ivanovic, University of Aberdeen (email@example.com)
- Computational Systems Director: Professor Patrik Holt, Robert Gordon University (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Energy & Clean Technologies Director: Professor Paul Mitchell, University of Aberdeen (email@example.com)
- Medical Technologies Director: Professor Andreas Melzer, University of Dundee (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Non-linear & Complex Systems Group Director: Professor Marian Wiercigroch, University of Aberdeen (email@example.com)
- Studentships will be funded up to a maximum of £10,000 per annum for three years (£30,000 in total);
- Awards may be used flexibly to fund a home/EU student (fees + some maintenance) or towards a fees only award for an international student.
- Applicants are encouraged to seek finance from elsewhere to match the NRP awards.
- The NRP Strategic Management Board anticipates that up to 9 studentships will be funded by this call.
- Applicants must ensure that their proposed research topic fits with the research priorities of the Northern Research Partnership; the JRI/Group Directors or the NRP Director can provide advice in this regard.
- Each supervision team must contain academics from at least two of the three NRP institutions; applications which do not satisfy this condition will be returned.
- Applicants in receipt of these awards will be required to report on an annual basis to the NRP Strategic Management Board on progress/outputs (details to follow).
Applications should be made by the deadline of Thursday, 31 August 2012.
Materials to be submitted are as follows:
- a proforma cover sheet containing information about the proposed supervisors, student details (if known), etc.
Download Proforma Template
- a short case for support document (see below).
The case for support should be a maximum of 2 pages of A4 (in 11pt Times New Roman) and must contain the following:
- background to the proposed research project (including any existing externally-funded projects to which it relates);
- details of the proposed research;
- how the research relates to the themes/priorities of the relevant NRP research institute/group; research track record of the proposed supervisors.
Applications should be submitted electronically by the deadline to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed by the NRP Strategic Management Board and the International Advisory Board.
All requests for information relating to the research priorities of the JRIs should be directed to the appropriate JRI Director (see above) or the NRP Director (email@example.com).
Queries relating to the call itself or the application process should be directed to Ilona Mair (firstname.lastname@example.org).