NRP continues to encourage staff to engage with business and industry to enhance the employability, entrepreneurial skills and leadership abilities of early career researchers. With exchange/placement programmes we seek to develop good linkages with the work of the Partnership and which will increase the international profile of NRP. In particular, we seek to exploit the existing strong relations established via KTP awards between the NRP universities and small and large companies in related sectors such as Oil & Gas and Renewable Energy.
The following schemes are proposed for NRP:
1. Academia into Industry Placements
1.1 Postgraduate Industrial Placements:
Industry placements for those existing PhD students across the Partnership working in the NRP research areas. These placements are intended to provide opportunities for students to experience working in a company and enhance job prospects. They will also provide companies with the opportunity to work on understaffed projects, experience the quality of NRP Partner PhD students, trial employment of specific individuals, and build stronger links with the universities.
The expected arrangements of these placements are:
- 3 month minimum duration, but flexible to individual circumstances
- NRP will pay the student stipend and registration fees during the placement; companies will be expected to meet other hosting expenses.
- Must be completed before July 2014.
- Topic of placements must be relevant to the NRP areas of research
These placements are expected to be company-led and filled through negotiation with companies and if necessary interviews of students.
1.2 Early Career Researcher Industrial Placements:
Industrial placements for early career staff working across the NRP Partnership who have existing links either nationally or internationally with companies with whom sustained periods in industry would strengthen the research produced and the relationship between the company and the Partnership.
NRP expects to offer approximately 14 placements ranging from 3 months to 1 year.
2. Academic placements for Industry staff.
NRP is promoting and seeking interest from companies for the opportunity to place selected R&D staff into part time contracts at the University to strengthen engagement, and indirectly enhancing the employability of early career researchers through exposure to the industry and potential job opportunities through such links. Such a scheme may result in a part time placement matching the current salary (at cost) for 1 day per week for a 6 month – 1 year period. Careful consideration of the benefits for NRP of such placements would require to be demonstrated before the NRP Governing Body grants approval. JRIs most likely to engage in such a scheme are Civil Engineering, Energy & Clean Technologies, Computational Systems and Medical Technologies.
NRP would expect to be able to offer approximately 4 x 1 day per week placements for a year at an approximate cost of £60k plus expenses.
3. Process for Approval
For each of the above opportunities, JRI Directors will be required to put forward a detailed case to the NRP Governing Body for approval. These schemes will be promoted on the basis of encouraging equality and flexibility to attract a creative mix of opportunities for all ECRs wishing to take advantage of these placements.
The criteria for approval will focus primarily on:
- The relevance and benefits the placement will bring to enhancing the quality of NRP research;
- The benefits, both direct and indirect, in respect to the employability, entrepreneurial skills and leadership abilities for the Partners’ early career researchers;
- The benefit of the proposal in strengthening sustainable links with key companies;
- The value of each proposal in raising the international profile of NRP’s research.